Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Building and Planting

Jer 1:4 Then the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,
Jer 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.
Jer 1:6 Then said I, Ah, Lord GOD! behold, I cannot speak: for I am a child.
Jer 1:7 But the LORD said unto me, Say not, I am a child: for thou shalt go to all that I shall send thee, and whatsoever I command thee thou shalt speak.
Jer 1:8 Be not afraid of their faces: for I am with thee to deliver thee, saith the LORD.
Jer 1:9 Then the LORD put forth his hand, and touched my mouth. And the LORD said unto me, Behold, I have put my words in thy mouth.
Jer 1:10 See, I have this day set thee over the nations and over the kingdoms, to root out, and to pull down, and to destroy, and to throw down, to build, and to plant.

The calling of Jeremiah was a profound and powerful event in his life.

God let him know that before he was ever formed in his mother's womb, he was a chosen vessel in the mind and plan of God.

In meditating and studying this morning, I became intrigued by the distinction God made when He said to Jeremiah that he was called "to build, and to plant."

Building and planting are two very different processes.

When you build, your progress is only limited by your own personal limitations. If you have the resources, the project goes up faster the more effort you put into it.

Planting, however, is an act of faith that depends partly on conditions beyond your control. You are responsible for diligent preparation, but once you commit the seed to the soil, the results depend on things other than your personal sweat and toil.

We go to seminars and read books about how to "build" a church.
But honestly, an Apostolic church is an organic spiritual entity. It has to be panted and watered, and God alone can give the increase.

Maybe someone today needs encouragement because when you look out at your harvest field, what you see makes you feel like less than a success.
Remember this, faithful laborer...not everything worthwhile can be built; some things have to be planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment